Crawford Performance Short Block: S3L-X for Subaru EJ20/EJ25 - Strength up to 600whp/750bhp
Brand New / No Core Fee
Built for Reliability vs. Overbuilt on Myths
CrawfordSPEC S3 Forged Pistons
CrawfordSPEC X-Beam Billet Rods
Fully Blueprinted and Assembled within OEM Specs
The most versatile and most popular Crawford Short Block in the "S" series just happens to be the S3L-X. It’s engineered around a new OEM crankcase, utilizing as many OEM components as possible. We have tested and pushed this engine as far as it can go, and have proven that OEM main and rod bearings, piston rings, and crankshaft can all withstand horsepower and torque numbers of up to 600whp/720bhp. These Genuine OEM components allow for maximum safety and reliability, because why fix what's not broken? No cheap knock off parts here. The only components that failed the test were the pistons and rods, so the S3L-X features premium upgraded internals. Longer CrawfordSPEC Billet X-beam rods increase the rod ratio which allows for smoother and more efficient power delivery, and are the made from the strongest material available in the industry: 4340 chrome-moly. In addition the S3L-X features CrawfordSPEC S3L forged pistons. We have design these pistons based on our previous experience with the EJ engines, adapting a race-proven design to our builds. The pistons feature CrawfordSPEC offset wrist pins to decrease the piston noise associated with forged pistons.
As an upgrade, we present a concept originally invented by Quirt Crawford himself and adapted by our piston manufacturer: JE Pistons. They call it: FSR Forging. We call it Time-Attack forging, as this design opened up the possibility of making unheard of power numbers with the EJ25; all without compromising the integrity of the crankcase itself. FSR features a bridge-like design on the base of the piston vs. a block design. This removes material, making the piston more light-weight and reduces friction, and the reinforced structure makes the piston even stronger. This design allowed us to make reliable power numbers of 700whp/850bhp with our factory backed Time-Attack Champion: Tony the Tiger.
All components engineered & manufactured by Crawford Performance have been tested for ultimate performance and maximum dependability on and off the race track. Our rigorous testing and numerous accolades assure our clientele that we at Crawford Performance demand the best of ourselves and the products we create. Our clients deserve nothing less.
*The final compression ratio of this motor is 8.2 to 1. F
Higher Compression option is available for builds that run High Octane fuel. Contact us for more information.
- New 2.5-Liter Semi-Closed Turbo Block
- New Subaru STi Forged Crank
- New STi High Mileage Piston Rings
- CrawfordSPEC Forged and Strengthened X-Beam Long Rods
- CrawfordSPEC Forged Pistons
- CrawfordSPEC Case Hardened and Heat Treated Wrist Pins
FSR Forging Upgrade for 600whp+ ($250)
- Time Attack FSR (Forged Side Relief), designed by Crawford initially for our 2008 STi Time Attack Champion: 'Tony the Tiger'. We developed this concept alongside our piston manufacturer to create a piston with strength like no other
- Features reinforced structure, a reduced skirt width to reduce friction, and shorter wrist pins to reduce weight (when compared to traditional "full round" style forgings)
- The ultimate combination of low-friction, light-weight design with increased stability and strength
- Ideal for high octane, high horsepower applications making more than 600whp/750bhp
- 2004 - Present STi
- 2005 - 2012 Legacy GT
- 2005 - 2009 Outback XT
- 2004 - 2013 Forester XT
- 2006 - 2014 WRX
- 2002 - 2005 WRX (Hybrid Set-Up using the EJ25 Short Block with your EJ20 Heads)
We recommend that certain parts be replaced new when installing a new Short Block in to your vehicle. We have assembled a kit that includes each piece, down to break-in oil.
Click here to check out our Short Block Installation Kit.